Origin of Summit Frame & Art
Although Summit Frame & Art was not incorporated until 1992, its origins in Summit date back to 1943. The custom glass and picture framing business was founded by George Weinberg’s mother in 1943. When George was discharged from the Army in 1945 he took over the business. Around 1953 George moved the business to 465 Springfield Avenue and Summit Glass & Picture Frame Co. was incorporated.
In the 1960s George sold the glass business to his brother-in-law which later became The Glass Smith Shop. Stephen Escott Sr. began working for Summit Glass & Picture Frame in 1970. Jerry Yellen bought the business in 1974.
Jerry and Stephen formed a business partnership in the mid 1980s. Jerry directed the window treatment department and Stephen directed the custom picture framing and art gallery. In 1992 the business had grown to a point were it was no longer feasible to have the departments under one business. Jerry sold the picture framing and art gallery rights to Stephen Escott Sr. and today’s Summit Frame & Art was incorporated. The store was renovated with a partial separation and the two businesses shared the same building.
In 1992 Stephen Escott Jr. graduated college and joined his father’s business.
Around 2007 Jerry decided to pursue retirement.
On February 1, 2009 Summit Frame & Art relocated across the street to 444 Springfield Avenue where Stephen Escott Sr. & Stephen Escott Jr. continue the family tradition of selling fine art and fine custom framing.